For over 80 years and four generations, our family has been inspired by forests and the endless possibilities for designing and building with wood. We began as a horse-logging operation in 1939 and have grown to become an industry-leading mass timber provider with a high-tech sawmill. From seedlings to solutions, we see our products through the entire process — from forest management to manufacturing, design, prefabrication, and delivery.
As an independent, family-owned, and operated company, we recognize that people are our most valuable resource. As we continue to grow, we’re searching for individuals who enjoy a hands-on approach to work tasks and thrive in a team-based environment.
Role and Objectives:
The Design Technician, under the Director, Manufacturing, Planning & Strategy, is responsible for supporting the Sales Team and Project Manager in concept design, 3D modeling and critical project elements to ensure successful design of Mass Timber structures. You will interpret the project plans and ensure the structural design maximizes the best possible use of our Glulam & Cross Laminated Timber products, while meeting the customers’ vision and objectives.
- Understand and comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Develop and prepare designs and drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data.
- Create building information models (BIM), using computer software, to provide digital representations of physical and functional aspects of buildings and other engineering projects.
- Operate computer-assisted design (CAD) and drafting workstations.
- Use on-screen tools to measure distances and angles.
- Convert distances on scaled drawings to actual dimensions using the drawing ratio.
- Use geometry, trigonometry and algebraic formulas when detailing the relationships between shapes in drawings.
- Make changes, corrections and improvements to scale drawings and project schematics.
- Produce 2D shop drawings for timber and steel elements.
- Create assembly drawings.
- Develop and prepare design sketches.
- Examine the continuity of designs through multiple drawings and views to confirm the alignment and placement of drawing elements.
- Evaluate the suitability of design elements and make suggestions for improvements where needed.
- Complete documentation packages and produce drawing sets.
- Write short notes and annotations on drawings for builders and manufacturers to supplement visual information.
- Check and verify design drawings to conform to specifications and design data.
- Other duties as required.
- Diploma in Engineering Design Technology
- (1) years of experience as a design technician, or a BIM Technician.
- Excellent knowledge of computer programs, include MS Suite programs such as Excel, Word, Power Point and Bluebeam.
- Ability to read structural, architectural and mechanical blue prints.
- Experience with CADwork, Rhino, Rivit, or other 3D software.
- Great time management skills.
- Receptive to change – can adapt to changing circumstances.
- Makes suggestions for improvement.
- Proactive in ensuring job knowledge is current.
- Primarily seated desk work, with occasional walking to/from other offices, and production facilities, as needed.
- Ability to focus after interruptions from in person, phone, or digital communications.
- Requires finger dexterity, and the ability to focus on screen for prolonged periods.
- Occasional ability to lift and manipulate objects of up to 20 lbs.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment will be required when entering industrial facilities (e.g. hard-hat, safety boots, etc.).
- Occasional exposure to hazards associated with manufacturing worksites.
- Salary: 60,000 – 75,000 (Dependent on experience)
- Extended health benefits including health, dental, vision, travel, Health Spending Account and RRSP program.
- Team building and social events.
- Training, development, and mentorship opportunities
- Opportunity to advance in your career.
- Work-life balance
- A great culture where we truly value our employees.
How to apply:
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to ">.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
At Kalesnikoff, working safely is an expectation. In your role you will have the time and resources needed to meet that expectation.
About our Kootenay home:
Are the mountains calling you? From beautiful parks and forests, pristine lakes, breathtaking valleys and stunning mountain ranges, the West Kootenay region is a highly desired and special place to call home. With an abundance of recreation including ski areas, golf courses, hot springs, and endless hiking, biking and other outdoor activities, the Kootenays isn’t just a region, it’s a lifestyle. Our vibrant mountain towns are full of arts, culture, food, history and caring communities. What are you doing after work today?
Equal opportunity commitment:
Kalesnikoff is a committed equal opportunity employer. Kalesnikoff’s recruitment strategy is designed to attract the best person for each position, to ensure equality of opportunity for all applicants, and to promote our corporate vision and culture. When considering applicants for positions within our Company, only job-related criteria such as ability, merit and responsibility are used to evaluate applicants. Kalesnikoff prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable law.
Kalesnikoff is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. Kalesnikoff believes in integration and equal opportunity. Kalesnikoff is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner and will do so by identifying barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility standards in accordance with applicable law.